Friday, July 24, 2009

Whitey's World Famous Saloon

I have been a longtime NE Mpls resident, and have attended Whitey's dozens of times. I consider it my "go to" place when I get to pick a fun night out with a new friend, or to introduce a new place to anyone.

I have tried many things on their menu. I practically have it memorized. On of my favorite things is the shrimp and crab artichoke dip. I have ordered this every time I am introducing someone to the place, and EVERYONE has practically licked the dish clean. It's salty, cheesy and you get chewy bits of shrimp. It's served with crostini breads- crispy and tasty! It is my favorite appetizer.

The atmosphere is nothing special. Dark wood, a spacious bar, high tables and low tables by a fireplace make up the overall look. However - they do have (or used to anyways) a downstairs area for playing darts or pool. It's reminiscent of my teenage friends dingy basement where we would go sneak cigarettes. It's definitely no dive, and attracts college types and your normal city folk. It can get crowded in the evening, but overall not a huge problem. They have some standard outside seating as well. Nice to sit out there and people watch while drinking and eating.

Whitey's offers a variety of menu items, and strays from your standard bar fare. They offer everything from carpaccio to wings on their appetizer menu, from sandwiches to burrito's, pasta and meatloaf on their regular menu. The fries are ok. but I am a tough fry-crowd. They are thin and reminiscent of McDonald's, and I like mine more thick-cut. The portions are always huge, the prices overall are reasonable, and I have never had a long wait time. The sandwiches are always good, and boasts nice, thick, chewy bread. The burgers are huge, juicy, and satisfying.

I would recommend this place to anyone who wants bar food with a twist! Come alone and have a sandwich and some fruit (yes, fruit!) or fries, or come with friends and share some great appetizers and ogle the wooden no-smoking lady at the top of the bar.

Unfortunately, there is no website for Whitey's. Booo!

No comments:

Post a Comment