Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mad Capper - Stillwater , MN

Mr. H and I started our recent vacation in Stillwater. We arrived there Friday afternoon, and decided on the Mad Capper for dinner, as we were famished after some shopping.
The Mad Capper is more of a bar with tables than a formal restaurant. Mostly working class people, and some families (unlike Brine's across the street - meat market!) They also boast a very nice selection of beer - including Kwak, Marsdoues, and otehr variety of tap beers for pretty decent prices. I ordered a vanilla vodka diet, and Mr. H ordered the Tripel Karmeliet which was quite good.


The food is pretty basic, though they do boast a few unusual sandwiches (Cream Cheese and Olive = $8.99, Avocado and Tomato = $8.99) Although they were intriguing, I opted to go with the Spicy Chicken sandwich (7 oz. chicken breast on whole grain bread, covered with Tabasco sauce and Bleu cheese =$7.99) and Mr. H ordered the Cajun Burger (Topped with shaved ham,
mozzarella cheese and Cajun seasoning = $9.99.)

Our food came in about 15 minutes, and I must say I wasn't too impressed. My chicken sandwich came on whole grain bread, which wasn't bad in itself. But the chickem breast was so extremely small that the bread overwhelmed it. I ended up having to pull the extra bread off (because I hate to eat 30% of just bread in my sammiches) and I wolfed all of it down in about 5 minutes. The tabasco sauce was apparent, but something tasted kind of...synthetic. I asked for a side of ranch instead of the blue cheese, so the sandwich was completely bare besides the chicken.

On the other hand, their fries were really good, as was their ranch. Fries were a good size, hot and salty. And the ranch was thick and creamy - not watery and bland like some places (yes I am a typical midwestern ranch-on-everything-please person.) Mr. H's burger was also quite good. I didn't taste anything Cajun, but it was nice and beefy and the bun held together nicely. Mr. H put some BBQ sauce on it, which I think was the best thing we were served. The BBQ sauce is nice and smokey and sweet, so I would suggest anyone thinking about going ere get something with te BBQ sauce on it.



Overall, if I go back, I will try their unique sandwiches, as I think most other things here are pretty standard bar fare - not great, but not bad either.

http://www.madcappersaloonandeatery.com/page.html


No comments:

Post a Comment