Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tha Anchor Fish and Chips (NE Mpls)

So I FINALLY got over to the Anchor this week to meet Mr C. and sup it up. I've been trying to wait for the Anchor for fish and chips, but sorta ruined it the night before by going to Hazelwood and having a fish sandwich (which was lovely, but I decided to not blog about since I was having an extremely bad day.) Alas, there was no guilt allowed upon entering the anchor. I stepped in to meet my friend, and it was crowded, dark, and small. I loved it right away. Maybe I owe this fondness to being away from anything city for the last 2.5 weeks. Either way, this place is lovely. Not overdone, not underdone, and bustling. They have an open "kitchen" (cooks and deep fryers!) which I think is a good idea at any restaraunt. Open concepts look nice, and also add to the "bustle" of a restaraunt. People talk more, and feed off the lively energy of the kitchen, without really noticing it. We were seated in under 10 minutes (there was a wait on a Wednesday-understandable due to it's hype, neighborhood, and small size) at a suitable table for two. This was ok, but this type of seating is very close set - a pet peeve of mine. Forgivness abounded, as I was just happy to be in my neighborhood.

The menu is short, so it really didn't take long to order. As you may know, I am firmly against 2 people ordering the same thing. This is why I always ask what the other party will order first. Mr. C. wanted the fish and chips. So be it; then I ordered the pastie (a blend of meat and veggies, deep fried.)

I apologize for no pics. It was too dark in the place. But our food came. and imagine: one basket with thick, steak style chips, and about an 8 inch long hunk of fried fish on top of it (seriously, it was pretty huge.) And basket two, with the aforementioned chips, and a big round hunk of deep fried-ness on top of it.

There is not a lot to say about this meal, except that it was simple and delicious. No complex flavors here, just straight up comfort food. The rumors about the chips; ALL TRUE. They are fantastic. I love fries, and am particular about them. Whiteys and Hazelwood have some of the worst fries (skinny, oversalted, soggy) and I like my fries to be something special. These are thick and mouthy. Some are around 3-4 inches long. LORDY! When I put the vinegar on them (yes they do only have white vinegar - but it's delicious on everything!) they tasted like salt and vinegar chips! Genius. My pastie was also very good. I took a bite of it, and immediately felt my endorphins ooh and ah. The breading is savory and toasty, the filling starchy and toothsome. I found myself wishing I had a hangover at that moment, and mourned for the hangover days that missed the Anchor while I was around. Some people have complained the pastie's are salty. They do have a sprinkling of sea salt on top, whch you get a bite of here and there, but it's definitely not overpowering.

Mr. C.'s fish was awesome. It's ok and fine for fish to be flaky - but sometimes it's flaky like you're eating nothing. This fish was flaky AND meaty. And the breading again was spot on crispy. It's a bit greasy, but it isn't out of hand. It's what you expect when eating fried food.

On the plus side - they sell wine by half and full carafe. We got a half carafe of cab for $8, which gave us both 2 glasses of wine. Not too shabby - but the wine was not that great. Oh well - not really a blunder for a place like this.

This place gets many plus points: 5 of the greats being:

-It's dark, and I like my restaraunts dim and dark.
-The chips are fantastic
-The pastie and fish are tremendous, super comforting and simple.
-The location. They are right smack in the middle of the hub bub of NE Mpls - near the Modern e.t.c.
-Open kitchen

5 not so greats
- The seating is close set
- They have CURRY GRAVY (!!!!) that you can order as a side to dip your chips in, and I didn't order it!!!
-There can be long waits
-Nothing else is wrong with this place.

http://www.theanchorfishandchips.com/The_Anchor_Fish_%26_Chips/Home.html

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this place looks good! And they have wine there? I'm totally shocked and wouldn't have expected that at all. Thanks for checking this place out fo rme first. I'll have to head over there at some point!

    ReplyDelete