Monday, November 9, 2009

CG Ham's Sandwich Shop

Myself and Mr. H found ourselves at CG Ham's on a busy Sunday afternoon. I have been wanting to try it out for a long time. So off we went, to this deli tucked strangely away in a strip mall by Men's Wearhouse and kids stores! The inside is just a small deli type place; basic and functional. We went inside and perused the menu for a little while, and asked some questions to (overly) friendly deli-woman. Mr. H really liked her, but I found her to be...overly nice. Thanking us over and over for coming, etc. Kind of made me think..."desperation!" There were samples of their ham out, and it's seriously some of the best ham I've ever had. I momentarily contemplated going only here for my ham (my regular "at home" lunchmeat) until I saw it costs $11 a pound.

Anyways, after some deliberation, Mr. H decided on the Prime Time ( Thinly Sliced Prime Rib served warm on a French Hoagie with your choice of Horseradish Sauce and/or Garlic Spread. (Au Jus served on the side) and I got the Unforgettable (Roasted Turkey Breast, Bacon and Avocado served on Sliced Multigrain Bread with Mayo, Sunflower Cream Cheese Spread, Tomato and Spinach.) I decided to upgrade with pop and ranch pasta salad for $2 extra. Not a terrible upgrade, but considering the place has Panera-like prices, 1 sandwich can clock in around $10. Since I'm broke most the time, this is a bummer for me. But I do realize that for normal, not-so-broke people, it's not too steep.



The Unforgettable!



I must say I really liked this sandwich. I didn't love it, but there was a lot of things "right" with it. The textures were my favorite part. The softness of the avocado and tomatoes, combined with the semi-firmness of the meat, the crunch of spinach and the bacon were a perfect textural cotnrast. The bread crusts were firm, but not overbearing. The rest of the bread was soft but not flimsy. I don't quite get what sunflower cream cheese is, but I got a good hint of it here. I was a little worried, because cream cheese is so rich it can overpower things. Not that I'm opposed to cream cheese bombs (i LOVE the stuff), but this had the perfect hint. And along with the mayo (also just a hint) and the avocado, it created great softness and flavors.



The pasta salad

It was pretty bland. Creamy, but bland. I wouldn't get it again.

The Prime Time

I didn't have a full bite if this, but I took a bite of the meat and found it much too salty. And hey- I like salt. Mr. H also said the Au Jus was too salty, so I tasted a bit and WOW...too salty was an understatement. It tasted more like soy sauce to me. Overall, quite disappointing.

I wouldn't go out of my way to go here again unless I'm in the area. Which probably won't happen, since it's right by a Toys R Us.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad you got to go there, finally, even though it wasn't stellar. I really loved my sammich when I went there, however. And at least you mostly liked your's right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea mine was good, but not excellent. I need to get to Roly Poly.

    ReplyDelete