Friday, April 19, 2013

I'm in a Salad Rut.

I originally started this intending to do a blog titled "My Three Salads." I stumbled on this topic in my ideas queue a few days ago, when I realized that...I haven't exactly been consistent with My Three Salads lately. Or with eating any salads...at all.
Here's the thing: I love salads. I love vegetables. I will pick vegetables over fruits most the time. For me, my wrench is stuck firmly in my creative wheel. Anytime I make a recipe, it's usually a little time consuming. When I cook, it tends to be more road trip, less Sunday drive. Cooking for me is not just about "eating." It's conception. It's organization. Experience. It helps shape my cooking "voice", but it isn't exactly harmonious since I find myself eating plain or unhealthy things when I don't cook/have leftovers.
One promise I made to myself when 2013 drew near, was to make myself at least 3 salads for work every week. And I executed it quite well, to my surprise. And it usually went something like this:

This is a 50/50 Lettuce mix, with some Baby Spinach. I also chopped up some carrots and cucmbers.

  
Then I shove into some tupperware, and put salt, pepper and green onions on top. Other mainstays included: grape tomatoes, broccoli, and walnuts.

I haven't made a single salad in almost a month. I'm bored. That ain't cool. 
Can you see I need help? I beg of you, fellow food hobbyists, help me be uncomplicated. Asking for help is hard!
Almost nothing is off the table. My goal is to get a few ingredients that I can prep into 3-5 salads in around 10 minutes or less. Quick recipes are welcome too.  But be warned that I don't prefer to use any cream-of/canned tomato paste/powdered seasoning packet anythings. Broths, spices, frozen veggies (at least), rice, pastas, chicken are all things I normally have on hand at all times.
Save me from my unharmonized ways. Help me back to Salad Zen.

No comments:

Post a Comment