Saturday, April 23, 2011

Pere Antoine - New Orleans

My 2nd to last day in New Orleans, I was regretting not having much of a fine dining experience in New Orleans. I decided to compromise and take myself out for a not quite fine-but above average meal. I walked around Royal Street and looked for a decent looking place, and chose Pere Antoine.

Pere Antoine is quite large, with beautiful tall windows lining the walls, and archways which give it a nice open-air feel. They offer most of the usual cuisine you will find in New Orleans, such as etoufee and po boys, with an elegant twist. I was greeted by a server who sat me down immediately. I perused the drink menu a bit, but decided on water...which took 10 minutes to come along with my actual waiter. What is it with the service? I experienced slow service in most places I dined at....

I finally decided on the Paneed Chicken ( Boneless breast of chicken dusted with Itlaian and local herbs, served with fettucine alfreso. - $12.95.) After waiting 20 minutes, it finally came.

I lost the picture of it, but I was a little surprised when it came out and it was basically a pounded chicken breast that was breaded, and pan fried. I think this is the traditional way to make it, but i was not aware it would be breaded from the description. The chicken was ok, if unremarkable. There was no complexity to it, no balance. It was just....a finely breaded, pan fried chicken breast.

The fettucine was a complete disaster. It was the single most garlic-ey thing I have EVER eaten. It was on fire with garlic. I couldn't eat more than a quarter of it, and by then I had drunk about 5 glasses of water.

I hate to give so many negative reviews lately, but I've had a string of disappointing experiences. And to me, blogging is about creatively describing things while still being accurate. So there ya have it. I don't think I am too hard to please either....especially not compared to actual critics and reviewers. I am also just a blogger, so my experience with a restaraunt is usually limited to a one time experience. I don't have the luxury for repeat visits and experimentation.

So there ya have it.

http://www.pereantoine.com/index.html

2 comments:

  1. I'll remember not to go here when I go to New Orleans. I don't have any plans to go or anything, but I'm sure I'll end up there eventually, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well maybe some of their stuff is good. Just not this particular one.

    ReplyDelete