Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hoshun - New Orleans, LA

After a long day in the French Quarter, I was super hungry and craving something noodley. Wanting to stay near my hotel, I decided upon Hoshun right across the street from my hotel. The description is, "Asian, Japanese, and Sushi." I skimmed over the menu on display outside, and decided the price was right, so in I went.

The exterior looks modern and posh in comparison to the hundreds of smaller, older restaraunts within a 5 mile radius. The interior is no different, it is large, dim, and well decorated. I waited 10 minutes (even though the restaraunt was half empty...) and was then seated at a table. I started browsing the menu, and was disapointed to see the prices on the menu display were in fact, the lunch prices. This could have easily been an oversight on my part, but I don't recall the display as being a lunch menu only. So I felt a little tricked.

I decided against sushi (yes - shocking I know) and decided on the Crab and Crawfish Rangoon (Sweet snow crab, cream cheese & crawfish in a fried wonton - $6.25) and the Chicken Lo-Mein (Classic stir-fry lo mein with mixed veggies & a choice of chicken, roasted pork, gulf shrimp or crawfish - $9.50 for chicken.) I have only had crawfish one time, and it was years ago at a terrible restaraunt in MN. So I figured I would try it inside an already familiar food to ease myself into it.




After waiting around 30 minutes (seriously...what is with the slow service in NOLA??) I got my appetizer, which was extremely hot. I figured I would be nice to my mouth, and pull off the hard, crunchy edges and eat them piece by piece while I let the filling cool. The sauce was awesome, a step above the usual goopy sweet and sour mutation. It was sweet and spicy. Once the wontons finally cooled (took about 10 minutes), I was able to dig in. I was delighted at how well the ingredients meshed together - the richness of the cream cheese against the distinctly sweet crab and crawfish. Cream cheese wontons (or crab rangoons) may seem simple, but I have had my share of bad ones. These were among the best I have had!
Chicken Lo Mein

I finished my appetizer, and 10-15 minutes later the biggest heaping pile of noodles I have ever seen was placed in front of me. It was also piping hot, with thick steam coming off it. Which is not exactly a complaint, because I know it was made right then. But by this time, I was just kinda of frustrated with all the waiting. I had to wait a good 1-2 minutes before eating each bite I pulled out of the pile. No continous eating for me at Hoshun.

Looks pretty, right? I found the Sriracha squiggles a bit annoying, being right there on the edge. I had to be very careful not to let my hair, sleeves, arm e.t.c. drag through the sauce. And when I finally did get to eat my noodles, they would drag across the sauce so the very end of the noodles got a Sriracha swipe, resulting in one big bite of noodle ends and sriracha sauce. Make of that what you will.

All complaining about Sriracha aside, it was much needed. This had to be the blandest lo-mein I have ever had. I found myself dousing it with soy sauce and putting sriracha on my chopsticks for any flavor. I can't say if my taste buds were burnt out after eating different foods, but this was only my 2nd or 3rd day there. Who knows where the blame is, but the slow service didn't help matters.

Sorry, Hoshun.

Hoshun on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment