Monday, December 6, 2010

Kip's Irish Pub - St. Louis Park Minnesota

Mr H and I went on one of famous weekend restaurant hunts, and wound up at Kip's Irish Pub. Word has it that the pub was disassembled and shipped in separate pieces here to Minnesota. And it is a great looking little pub with standard dark wood, but also showcases some nice celtic design on many walls. It is a spacious bar and dining area, with some cozy nooks to escape to. The fact that it's inside the Marriott SW is a little disorienting, but ok.

Mr H. and I were seated, and immediately were uncomfortable. The chairs are the hodge podge sort you find in a irish pub themed restaurant, and some were quite stiff. We asked to change tables, and our waitress was less than pleasant with us. After we had perused the menu for awhile, Mr. H inquired the waitress opinion on some different things. To which she replied "Hm, they're all pretty good" or something of that equivalent. The menu reads like a schrizophrenic landscape. You can even get tuna tataki! How about an oyster bake with your reuben? My head, it spun.

We eventually decided on the Guinness Steak Shepherds Pie (him- and curiously NOT on the online menu...), and the BLT with fruit (me.)

BLT ($11)Basically this was my least favorite sandwich I've like, ever eaten. It was sloppy, the construction was of, the fillings were sparse and it wasn't flavorful overall. I'm sorry, but that's all I have to say about it.

Guinness Steak Shepherds Pie ($12)


It sure looks pretty, but that's where any and all attraction stops. The potatoes tasted instant, the whole dish was kinda lukewarm, and the savory gravy factor that you expect inside was nil. The garnish was almost obscene and completely unnecessary, and the 2 little pieces of burnt hard bread on the side were SUPPOSED to be irish soda breads? I'm sorry to give a bad review, as I ALWAYS try to find positives, but I won't go back to Kip's again for the food, but maybe I will give the bar a shot!

http://www.kipspub.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment