Thursday, September 16, 2010

Houlihans - Chanhassen

**NOTE: I edited this because I found a bunch more pics of stuff I've eaten at Houlihans.**

On what must have been like my 4th trip to Houlihan's for small plates, I've finally tried almost everything they have. Here is my final blog and summary of the new menu items.

Houlihans has 4 sliders to choose from (shrimp po' boy, pulled pork, burger and a pot roast slider) for $5 apiece, or you can get 3 for $9.50...a small fifty cent savings. Pictured here are the pot roast slider, the shrimp po' boy and the pulled pork. My vote goes for the pot roast. When is pot roast not good?

The Shrimp Po 'Boy was my 2nd. The shrimp flavor came through nicely, without having that overwhelming "fried" taste.

The Pulled Pork had some fried onions on it, and was just ok. It was overall bland and needed more oomph. The buns were nice and shiny, and our server could not tell us what they were except that "they make them there".....
The spicy chicken and avocado eggrolls ($5) were my least favorite. They were distinctly spiced with cumin, and not much else. Not very spicy or flavorful overall.


The Blueberry Mojito = awesome. It has basil and mint, with blueberry syrup. My red flags cautioned me against sweet, but this is not overpoweringly so at all. Pretty good balance of sweet and herbaliciousness!

Fortunately, Houlihans offers 5 varieties of fries. We opted for the Disco Fries (Canadian 'poutine' (poot-sin) style with melty mozzarella, slow cooked pot roast and gravy. $4) and they were heavenly. I somehow don't have a pic, but they were the perfect portion, perfect amount of cheese and gravy, and small bits of pot roast. I'm kinda glad there weren't more because I would have totally gorged myself on them otherwise.

Other things I've had:Thai Noodle Bowl - (ginger-peanut noodles (chilled), cilantro, basil,
mint, napa cabbage, sweet & sour carrots. $5)

-This was quite plain. It comes cold, and it's ok, but I could make better at home honestly.


Grilled Naked Chinese Dumpling Kabobs - (ginger lemongrass
pork bites with peanut sauce. $5)

-Ok, I know we're all adults and can read, but the title is somewhat misleading. Is it a kabob? A dumpling??? Turns out it's a kabob. 5 skewers of pork with a little asian flavor to them. They come with 3 dipping sauces - a wasabi mayo, a spicy kind of soy sauce, and a sweet and sour dip.



Overall, I would go to Houlihans for social outings, but never specifically for the food, though I do like their sandwiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment