Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cici's Pizza - Plymouth, MN

A 2 hour Trader Joe's excursion makes a person hungry. After spending $75 hungry shopping (never a good idea), Mr. H and I needed food. Specifically, pizza. So we decided to try Cici's pizza in Plymouth.


Pizza is kind of like sex. When it's bad, its still good. (hey-o!) So I went to Cici's with an open mind, trying to envision mac and cheese pizza. Cici's is located in a little shopping center/strip mall (why does it seem like these are the only places I eat at anymore?) in standard Plymouth fashion. Cici's is really just a buffet, around $7 per person (with pop and tax.) With around 8-10 different kinds of pizza, 2 kinds of breadsticks, one pasta dish and 3 different desserts: brownies, apple crumble pizza, and cinnamon bread; it ain't a bad deal.


I started down the line and saw nothing special - just some pizza laying on metal sheets. But on I forged, getting breadsticks, 2 sides of red sauce, mac and cheese pizza, pepperoni pizza and what looked to be a sausage deep dish piece. I sat down and first dug into the breadsticks. The biggest downside to (any) buffet dining is that the food isn't as hot as it should be. This was no exception, but the breadsticks were good. Garlicky and dough-ey, pretty satisfying overall. Then, I took a dip into the red sauce - I was amazed. It was de-li-cious. Tangy, sweet, garlicky, and simple. I wanted to drink the stuff it was so good. I wish they would sell this. I would buy it by the jug.

The mac and cheese pizza consisted of a white sauce, and mac and cheese noodles on top. The noodles on top added nothing to the pizza, but the white sauce was rich and savory. The pepperoni pizza was surprisingly good. The pepperoni was smokey and spicy. I'd dare say this is one of the best pepperoni slices I've ever had. The deep dish was not as good - it just tasted kind of strange.


At this point fresh pizza was put out, so I got more. Buffalo chicken, ham and pineapple and jalapeno's. Buffalo chicken pizza is one of my favorites, but this one was weird. The sauce tasted like it had cardboard in it, and the chicken was pretty sparse. The ham and pineapple and jalapeno was great, the ham was smokey, the jalapeno added a good kick, and the pineapple a sweet counterbalance (though I had to take off like 5 pieces of jalapeno before I would eat it.)

My only complaints are the cheese and crust. They aren't BAD, but they aren't great. The crusts are traditional, not thick or thin as expected. But hey -it's Cici's, not some diamond in the rough. The cheese on some pizza was almost non-existent, but on a few slices it was gooey and warm. Really depends on how fresh the pizza is I think. On the plus side, none of the slices were overly greasy, my biggest pizza-pet peeve!


I had no room for dessert, but Mr. H just about fainted from delight upon tasting the cinnamon bread. I tried one bite, and was again surprised. It was awesome. Crusty exterior, ooey-gooey inside, sweet and warm. And I am not a fan of cinnamon. I would have had more if I weren't so full.


Overall, I really liked Cici's. Obviously, it isn't gourmet pizza or anything fancy at all. But it's a lot better than one may think, and better than any average buffet I've been to. And the bonus: it turned out to be a quite nice, unexpected date with Mr. H. We even sat and talked awhile after eating. It was one of life's unexpected pleasures, as one wouldn't exactly expect to have a lovely time in a brightly lit pizza buffet in a strip mall. But I did!


http://www.cicispizza.com/_template.php#Scene_1

Greats:
-Pepperoni Pizza
-The tomato sauce - omg seriously.
-Cinnamon bread
-Saw some of the cutest babies in the universe while I was in there
-It's cheap


Not so greats:
-Buffalo chicken pizza
-Really kid oriented place
-So much so that some lady offered us a baby as she walked by.
-Lukewarm pizza (casualty of the buffet)


Just go try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment