Monday, October 12, 2009

Hazlewood

Mrs. D (you may know her from the Jake's post) and I decided to go out for "lunch" on a Sunday afternoon. The reason for the quotes is due to the lack of actual lunch at 12 noon on Sundays most anywhere. Having looked at Hazlewood's menu previously, I saw there was a bit if difference between the lunch and dinner menu. Lunch is sandwich galore, so of course I was tempted! However, we arrived and were met with the dreaded "brunch menu." This consists mostly of, well... breakfast, and then a few burgers. It also states on the brunch menu on the website that the full menu is available for take-out. But when we asked for more options, we were told that they are only serving the brunch menu. Um...oookay. Anyways, I decided on the Cheddar Burger with Tilamook cheese and ordered it medium well, mostly because nothing else on the menu looked appealing. Mrs. D had the cranberry walnut salad.

I didn't know if I would be blogging so I took no pics. I don't usually like to take pics of "normal food" anyhow. It's a burger and fries on a plate, mmkay? This burger was a huge disappointment, especially for being 11 dollars. It was fatty and greasy, which is ok if the burger itself isn't bland. Trust me - I can handle some pretty high fat meals, but even this coated my mouth in juice and grease. I found the bun to be overwhelming, and they also put SHREDDED ICEBERG lettuce on it. Ugh. I had to ask the waitress for some mustard and ketchup, seeing as how nothing came on the burger, and there were no condiments on our table. The cheese flavor was non-existent, though I find this to be the case with any melted cheddar scenario. The fries were good, thin cut and really had depth of flavor - like they were fried in beef oil or something.

I did end up eating it all, but that was because I was hungry and it didn't completely suck. I will give Hazlewood another chance (on a NON BRUNCH menu) but was overall underwhelmed by this experience. It seemed to me you pay for decor, which is modern but also very Minnesotan, with fireplaces and exposed wood walls, combined with stylishly contoured light fixtures. What I didn't see was any good quality food. Mrs. D's salad seemed to be small and kind of thrown together, though I didn't taste it. I can see spending my hard earned money elsewhere and having a much more delightful taste bud experience.

http://www.hazellewoodgrill.com/pages/home

Hazellewood Grille on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment